The twelve-factor app is a modern methodology for building software-as-a-service apps:
• Use declarative formats for setup automation, to minimise time and cost for new developers joining the project.
• Have a clean contract with the underlying operating system, offering maximum portability between execution environments.
• Are suitable for deployment on modern cloud platforms, obviating the need for servers and systems administration.
• Minimise divergence between development and production, enabling continuous deployment for maximum agility.
• And can scale up without significant changes to tooling, architecture, or development practices.
We will build a RESTful web service in Java and deploy the app to CloudFoundry. We will go over how to build a cloud manifest, how to keep our database credentials and application configuration outside of our code by using user-provided services and go over what it takes to build a 12 Factor application in the cloud. This presentation will be heavy on code and light on slides!